Saturday, February 1, 2014

Green Smoothie experiment - Day #1

Having watched "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" more than once, I have been tempted to try a juice fast on several occasions.  I have finally bit the bullet and decided to go for it.  I have been making smoothies with my trusty Nutribellet for a while now, and I have made green smoothies for myself on many occasions.  I find them to be a tasty treat.  On Thursday (January 30th, 2014) I decided to go for it.  I had looked in the refrigerator and freezer, looked hard at my 2 bags of kale (around 3 bucks at Wal-Mart for huge bags of roughly chopped Kale Greens) and decided that it was time.  I had everything at hand - what was I waiting for?

I have been hesitant to really get into a Green Smoothie experiment, because I did not feel that I had enough information.  So, on Wednesday, I made the decision to get informed.  I turned to the internet.

I had seen this video before, but could not remember if he gave specific information...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjt3bxyKcCI  Not a while lot of info, but lots of inspiration!  Once the video was over, I saw on the right side of the screen "60 Day Juice Fast - How Much Juice Daily"  It was like manna from heaven.  Angels sang, and I clicked on the link from Raw Raw Life..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D707pPrBWGc  The lady is super enthusiastic, and engaging to me.  She clued me in to using my mason jars and having my juice on the ready.  I also would probably not thought to drink as much water as she suggests, because I would have felt like the Green Smoothies would keep me hydrated.  Plus, who does not like someone that titles one of her videos "Juice Fasting & Detox - The Beginning Sucks"????  Adorable!

Thursday morning, I woke up and made breakfast for husband.  While I was doing that, I used the largest cup that came with my Nutribullet to make some green smoothies.  In each smoothie, I put...

1 banana
1 huge fist full of kale
4 strawberries
1/4 cup of blueberries
1 drizzle of EVOO
Water to the "max" fill line, and put it on the base and blend it to liquid.

It was nicely serendipitous that the large Nutribullet cup is just about a perfect fill of a large Ball jar, so three Green Smoothies made three Ball jars FULL of my daily Green Smoothie intake.

Not being used to carting my Ball jars yet, when I had to go into Fayetteville, I forgot to bring my extra jars.  I used my phone to search for a juice bar.  I wound up at Berry Natural, (https://www.facebook.com/BerryNatural) which I feel blessed to have encountered, even thought it was VERY much more expensive than I had thought it would be.  I pulled into the drive through, and a lovely young woman with jet black hair popped her head out of the window to help me.  I explained that I JUST started a Green Smoothie fast, and she asked me what I use at home.  I told her what I had used, and that I was worried that there might be powders and things that I did not want in the smoothie.  She told me that she would not put anything into my smoothie that I did not want in it "I promise."  Then, she smiled.  I wound up with a 20 ounce smoothie with pineapple, strawberry, banana, and kale (they were out of blueberries) with Coconut Water.  I was SO GOOD!  It was also 12 dollars.  UGH!  No wonder people think that  Green Smoothie fast is cost prohibitive!  Being caught unawares is cost prohibitive.  Improper prior planning is cost prohibitive.  Green Smoothies are not expensive - once you get the blender or Nutribullet.

As of right now, I have spent about 3 bucks per bag for 2 bags of kale, and $2.69 per bag for 2 bags each of frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries.  Bananas have run me about $7.00 for 4 bundles of bananas.

So...
Kale                                       $ 6.00
2 bags blueberries                  $ 5.38
2 bags frozen strawberries     $ 5.38
Bananas                                 $ 7.00
TOTAL SO FAR                   $23.76

I made my 3 Ball jars of smoothie this morning, and would guestimate that I have 3 or 4 more days worth of stuff.  So, a total of 4 or 5 days worth of food for $ 23.76.  Not too shabby!  That's like only 2 professionally made Green Smoothies.  :-)

Day number one brought a bad headache, for which I took Aleve.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment