Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Green Smoothie Day #2 - redux!

I am going to combine all of the ingredients that I have used to make today's smoothies.  I wound up making 4 smoothies.  I filled 3 different 32 ounce wide mouthed mason jars, filled my 22 ounce White Water travel cup, and topped off the mason jars to beyond their 32 ounce lines, so I believe that I am close to a full gallon of smoothie for today.  I am also working on increasing my water intake.  I am working on developing the habit of finishing my smoothie, then filling my cup with water  That way, I get the last little bit of my smoothie; and all of the nutrients therein.  Win/win - I get green flavored water, all the nutrition, and my water intake goes up to almost a gallon, so that my body can more readily process all of the stuff it is dumping back into my system that has been stored for quite some time.

4 bananas                                      $   .80
2 kiwi fruits                                  $   .70
5 fists full of kale                          $ 3.25
17 strawberries                             $ 1.36
2 cucumbers                                 $   .70
4 drizzled olive oil                       $   .40
cucumber water to fill line           $   .80
                             TOTAL =       $  8.01

Yikes, a little expensive today!  I knew that I was kind of tossing in everything but the kitchen sink, but I had not realized that I had gone quite that crazy.  :-)

It is interesting the perspective that I get from these monetary experiments. I think of 8 dollars as extravagant for an entire day, based on my SNAP thinking.  In Arkansas, the Allocation for SNAP is 189.00 for a single person, or 6 bucks a day.  It is in the back of my mind, and it is a bar to which I often compare food pricings and meals.  Knowing that is my perspective, I keep in mind that it is not unusual for families to regularly spend that much on a child's meal several times a week dining out, not to mention the cost of the adult meals out.

The other week, Husband took me out for dinner for my birthday. We went to Taziki's Mediterranean  Cafe.  It was extraordinarily good!  I had chargrilled lamb with greek salad and cucumber salad.  It was $11.49.  For one meal.  For the two of us, dinner was something like 30 dollars, since Husband and I shared an appetizer of Spicy Pimento Cheese and another of stuffed grape leaves @ $4.99 each, in addition to our meals.  It was a FABULOUS meal, and well worth the splurge.  :-)

And, now I am back to my smoothies and really liking them.  Yesterday, I ended the day with a bit of a headache, so I took a tablespoon full of coconut oil, thinking that my body was craving fat above and beyond what I am providing in olive oil.  I think my theory was right, because my headache went away.

t

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete