Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Green Smoothie experiment - Day #4

Woke up this morning thinking about how I get to try asparagus in my smoothies today.

Also, I was talking about my Green Smoothie adventure to a friend of mine.  She is allergic to bananas, so it is my mission this morning to make a green smoothie sans banana to bring to church with me for her to try.  I LOVE experimentation!!!

This is what I came up with for her...
4 spears asparagus
1/3 of a cucumber
1/2 a zucchini
3 pitted prunes
handful kale
1/4 cup blueberries
4 large strawberries
1 tbsp sunbutter
water to the fill line

I hope that she likes it.

For my own green smoothies, I blended

1 fist kale                           $  .65
5 large strawberries           $  .50
1/4 cups blueberries          $  .50
1/2 cucumber                    $  .10
6 asparagus                       $  .30
1 banana                           $  .20
water to fill line                FREE
                       TOTAL =  $ 2.25   x 3 = $ 6.75  for my green smoothies for the day.  :-)

I had a salad when my last mason jar of green smoothie ran out today.  Lettuce, some raisins, and red wine vinegar.  I figure that eating the exact things I would put into a smoothie are not verboten, so if I absolutely have to have some "chew" in my day, I think that I will grab an apple, a carrot, or a salad exactly like the one described above.

I do not want green smoothing to become yet another tricky food situation.  Food is my addiction, you do not get to be obese without having some food "issues", and I have been pleasantly surprised by the lack of thought that I give to food daily.  I make my smoothies first thing in the morning, fill my mason jars, and nurse them all day long.  When I finish a glass of green smoothie, I fill it with water, so that I drink as much water as I do juice.  I plan meals for the family, and I cook for them, but it is with less pressure.  Not sure exactly why that is, but I am sure that I will make some mental connections that will make it make more sense at some point.

I have talked to friends before about food issues, and have said "If I were addicted to drugs, or alcohol, it would be possible to simply not partake.  You cannot *not* eat."  I think that this is as close as you can go to quitting food "cold turkey".

I have to admit...  I am liking the convenience, the taste, and the ease of green smoothing.  It is a little disconcerting, this thing that is happening on the other end of the digestive tract, but it was not anything that I had not already read about, and was prepared for, as much as can be prepared for.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment