Sunday, February 9, 2014

Cucumber water

A few months ago, I was at a friend house, and she offered me cucumber water.  I had heard of it before, and was happy to try it.  It tastes really good!  I add a sprinkle of pepper to my glass, because it gives it an added dimension, and increases my feeling of satiety.  I have made it a few times, but not as often as I really should have.  It increases the nutritive value of my water, and gives a flavor punch that I like.  Of course, I also really like cucumbers, and eat them often sprinkled with pepper.  Sometimes mixed with tomatoes.  Mmmm.

So, the way that I make my cucumber water:

2 quarts of water
1/2 a good sized cucumber sliced thinly

It is totally up to you as to whether or not you peel your cucumber.  Sometimes, I get one that has been so thoroughly waxed that even a brief soak in vinegar water will not take it off.  I peel those.  Otherwise, a good vinegar wash and dry off will do the trick and let me keep the peel on.

Slice your cucumber thin, drop 1/2 the sliced cucumber into your 2 quart pitcher, and add water.  The cucumber slices will float to the top.  When they sink to the bottom - that is when the nutrients have been leeched out, and your water is ready to drink.

I plan to start using my cucumber water in my green smoothies.  I like the idea of more nutrients in my smoothie, and not just the regular minerals to be found in filtered water.

t

2 comments:

  1. As a Board Certified Health Coach, I provide motivated individuals and families with the resources, tools, support and encouragement they need to make the gradual changes in food and lifestyle that could completely transform their lives

    ReplyDelete