Saturday, February 1, 2014

Green Smoothie Experiment - Day #3

I got up this morning and made my smoothies...

1 banana                                     $  .20
1 fist full kale                             $  .65
5 strawberries                             $  .50
1/4 cup blueberries                     $  .50
1/2 cucumber                              $  .10   (again, Aldi special)
heaping tablespoon sunbutter     $  .35
water to fill line                          FREE
                               TOTAL   = $  2.30  x 3  $ 6.90 for a full day of green goodness!

In preparation for family meals, I warmed some turkey that a dear friend's husband had generously smoked for me.  He smoked 2 whole turkeys for me.  I made paleo enchilada bake (recipe to come at some point in the future) already, and want to make some more, so I took time to get everything off the bone, and into baggies.  I put the bones in the freezer to make bone broth from at a later date.  Bone broth made from smoked meats is AMAZING, but, I digress.

I never really considered how automatically I eat.  I was de-boning all of the meat, and do not know how much meat I had eaten before I realized that I was randomly popping small bits of meat into my mouth.  If I had to put an amount to it, I know I probably did not eat less than a quarter pound of meat, and I might even put it close to a half pound.  So, I definitely blew the idea of only green smoothies, but I am not going to beat myself up about it.  I will try to be more aware of my "automatic eating" habit.

Going through the freezer for something else, I found a bag of frozen asparagus.  I have out it into the refrigerator to thaw and use in my smoothies.  I love asparagus, and my family does not.  Hence, the languishing bag of frozen asparagus.

I was talking to a friend about doing a Green Smoothie fast for 10 days (not even clueing her into the idea that it could go on as long as 100 days if all things happen well) and she asked "Isn't that kind of extreme?"  I told her that I did not think so.   I said that if I were to have bariatric surgery, I would be on a liquid diet for several days afterwards.  I asked her if Medifast was extreme, and she said not really.  I told her gently that I have made a decision to do a Green Smoothie fast, and I was going to put into my body ingredients that I could identify, and not a chemical slurry.  I think she understood a little better by the time we stopped.  Or, at least I felt like I had represented my point of view in a way that I was satisfied with.

I am feeling the bloat from the turkey.... ugh.  Tomorrow will be better.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment