Saturday, March 23, 2013

Chicken Tagine (aka - spectacular fail)

I seem to be on a Melissa D'arabian roll here lately.  It has been three weeks since I made the Lemon Confit, so I wanted to try to make the Chicken Tagine.

Spectacular fail.

Three leg quarters                                                         $2.00
Butter and olive oil                                                       $  .15
2 onions                                                                       $  .40
Ginger, Turmeric, Cinnamon                                       $  .50
3 cloves garlic                                                              $  .25
1/4 cup White wine                                                      $  .50
1/4 cup Bone Broth                                                     $  .50
1 confit lemon                                                              $  .88
1/2 cup gently crushed briny olives                             $  .75
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro                                              $  .10
                                                            TOTAL =      $ 6.03

If there is a saving grace to the fact that this did not go too well, it is that not too much money was wasted.

When I took the lemon out of the ball jar, it did not look like the lemon that Mrs. D'arabian sliced on her show.  It was still much more firm than I had thought it would be.  While I was cutting the lemon, it occurred to me to let the lemon cook soft.  Well, I got on line, documenting the price of making some Paleo Tamales (Yes, I said Paleo Tamales!) and I lost track of time a bit.  I burned dinner.

Husband was uber supportive and actually tried to eat almost an entire serving before he finally had to kindly let me know that it was pretty bad.

He went and made a sandwich from Julian Bakery bread and meats.  I whipped up a juice blend and had some hard boiled eggs, and the girls grazed on leftover fish, turkey dogs, and sandwiches.  It was basically  free for all for dinner around here.

I think I am going to give the lemon confit another week or two and then try the recipe again.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment