Monday, March 18, 2013

Lemon confit and dried lemons


Finished product!

Quite some time ago, I saw the "10 Dollar Dinners" episode showcasing Melissa D'arabian's Chicken Tagine recipe.  It looked delicious, but the Lemon Confit has been cost prohibitive.  $13.00 for a 4.5 oz container.  Plus, it is difficult to find outside of gourmet foodie stores.  I set the idea aside, but it has stayed in the back of my mind...almost forgotten, but not quite.

When Aldi advertised lemons for 19 cents each, I remembered the Chicken Tagine recipe and thought to make some confit at home.  If I did it correctly, the process was very simple.

Here is the recipe from the food network site... (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/lemon-confit-recipe/index.html)

Lemon Confit:
3 organic lemons, skin scrubbed well
Kosher salt
4 peppercorns
1/2 lemon, juiced
Place the lemons, 2 to 3 tablespoons salt, peppercorns, and lemon juice in a quart jar and cover with water. Store chilled for 3 weeks. 
Gathering all of my ingredients - Ball jars, lemons, Jamaican Allspice, and salt
Scrubbed my lemons clean
3 freshly scrubbed lemons per jar...
Add salt to each
juice from 1/2 a lemon in each jar
Add water to jars...
I used Jamaican Allspice peppercorns.  I had them on hand, and I thought their more exotic flavor would be a good compliment to the tartness of the lemons.  This could turn out well, or badly.  I will let you know how it goes.
The most expensive thing about this recipe was purchasing a 12 count box of Pint sized ball jars for 11.89.  So, roughly one dollar per jar as a one time cost.  Hopefully, I will use them again and again for various recipes, or for straight storage.  

Cost breakdown for the recipe:
12 Ball jars                                                                                  11.89
24.5 lemons @ 19 cents each                                                         4.66
21 tbsp kosher salt                                                                         1.05
28 peppercorns   @ .03 each                                                           .84
                                                                                     Total =    18.44

Now, I would not have purchased the ball jars without the intent of making confit, so I am amortizing the price of all 12 jars into the cost of the resulting 7 jars of product, so when I crunch my numbers, I will simply divide the $18.44 total into only 7 jars, so each jar is $2.64.

For 7 pint sized jars of lemon confit, I paid $2.64 per jar, which is waaaaayyy lower than any price I could have found in a specialty foodie shop, or on line.  AND - the next time I make it, the price will not include the jars, so it will be less than a dollar per jar to make in the future. 

The next time I make this recipe, since I will already have the jars, it should only set me back about $6.64.  Even considering the price of the jars, $18.53 is not bad for 7 pint sized jars of Lemon Confit.  $6.64 will be even better!  :-)

Each jar holds 3 lemons, and the juice of half a lemon per jar for 7 jars meant 24.5 lemons were used for the Confit recipe.  I used a lemon the other day to poach my fish, so I had 4.5 lemons left over. 

It seemed like a good idea to try to preserve the rest of the lemons in some way, so I decided to dry my leftover lemons for use later.  I sliced the lemons fairly thinly, getting 5-8 slices per lemon, depending on the size of the lemon  Setting my oven to 200 degrees, and putting the lemon slices on a cookie sheet lined with foil, I started the drying process.  Turning every hour for 5 hours, I wound up with lovely dried lemons that I can use for future fish poaching.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment