Thursday, September 5, 2013

Paleo Gumbo

Something happened while downloading pictures, and they were lost.  The next time I make this, I will take pictures and share.  Sorry for not having pictures of the process.

One of the things that I have been meaning to turn into a Paleo meal is Gumbo.  I love Gumbo!  Husband loves Gumbo! Thing1 loves Gumbo!  Thing 2 won't touch Gumbo!  :-)

The recipe that I have been using for years does not include mushrooms, but I got a fabulous deal recently, so I thought I would try them in the recipe, and they are a tasty addition.  

1/4 Coconut Oil                                                     $  .70
Bone Broth                                                            $  .25
4-6 cups water                                                       FREE
2 Tbsp Coconut Flour                                           $  .20
1 large onion, diced (I used a vidalia)                    $  .35
3 cloves garlic                                                        $  .15
4 - 7 stalks celery (I used 6 this time)                     $  .60
2-3 chopped bell peppers (I used 3 today)             $  .99
1 can diced tomato                                                 $  .59
1 bay leaf                                                               $  .05
1/2 tsp dried thyme                                                $  .10
1 lb okra (fresh or frozen)                                      $1.89
1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper                                       $  .05
S & P to taste                                                         $ .10
Sliced Mushrooms                                                 $  .79
EZ Peel shrimp 1 lb                                               $ 4.99
                                                       TOTAL    =   $11.80

I had half of a large cooked Spaghetti Squash in the refrigerator.  I peeled the squash from the hard shell, and cut it across the bias, so that I have short strands of squash.  Normally, I would serve over riced cauliflower, but I only have frozen cauliflower, and I am not sure how easily it rices.  So, over spaghetti squash it is! I would guestimate that the 1/2 of Spaghetti Squash is $2.00 or $2.50.

$11.80 + $2.50 = $14.30 for a gumbo and spaghetti squash dinner for 4, and leftover gumbo for more than 3 more meals.  If you divide the gumbo by 7 servings, it is $1.69 per serving, but the spaghetti squash will more than likely cover only 3 servings.  $2.50 divided 3 times $ .84

3 servings @ $1.69 + $ .84 = $2.53
4 servings @ $1.69

$1.69 for PALEO GUMBO!!  $2.53 for PALEO GUMBO with Spaghetti Squash!  You can't get a meal like that for anywhere near that price.  Heck, you cannot get a happy meal for $2.53.

Making meals like this makes me feel kind of like a mad scientist.



I used my trusty stock pot.  I prefer to use the stock pot, rather than my dutch oven, the size is more forgiving, and I have tried to make gumbo and wound up with too much gumbo and not enough pot before.


Melt your coconut oil, sprinkle in your coconut flour.  Mix until your roux is the color of a copper penny, maybe a little darker.  


Add chopped onion and bell pepper, dumping them in will give off a sweet sizzling sound, and stir them until fully coated in the roux.  Cover and turn down the heat.  Cook until onion and peppers are a little softened.


When they are slightly softened, add 1 cup of bone broth to deglaze.  Add diced celery and stir.  Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add all the other ingredients, cover, and turn heat to low. I suggest topping off your water as you go, to make sure that you do not add too much and make a dish that should be stew-like into something soupy.

It is only because I soften my onion and peppers that it takes me so long to get everything into the pot.  Once your roux is done (15 minutes approx) you can simply dump everything into the pot, cover it, turn the heat to low, and let it simmer and meld for between 1 and 3 hours.  I layered mine over the course of about 45 minutes to get everything in and make sure that everything had a chance to meld.  I tend to do that when trying out or creating a new recipe.   But, this will wind up being an easy 15 minutes to toss, then simmer for 1-3 hours kind of a recipe.

t








1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete