Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Groceries 9/4/13 and 9/11/13

On the 4th, I popped into WM Neighborhood Market specifically to grab 2 bags of chopped kale.  They did not have the 1 lb bag of chopped Kale at the Neighborhood Market, so I picked up 2 tubs of baby kale.  They were 5 ounces each, and cost $2.98.  That is about the same cost as the 1 lb bags of chopped fully grown kale.  I understand why, though.  Microgreens (baby greens) are more nutrient dense than the fully grown version.  Nutrient density between the two options is probably similar between the 5 oz of baby greens vs the 1 lb of full grown greens. Yet, I prefer to buy the larger bags because they go farther than the baby greens.

I am working on talking myself into a 10 day long green smoothie "fast".  I have lots of frozen fruits that I purchased on sale and processed myself, so I know there are no added sugars.  I have been doing at least one green smoothie for the last few days, and have tweaked my recipe to the point that I think I could have it as my primary food for 10 days.  Adding a few new recipes will help.  Wish me luck!

9/4/13 - WM Neighborhood Market
 Baby Kale 5 oz clamshell  2@ 2.98                                               $ 5.96


9/11/13 - Wal-Mart 
Bag Kale 1lb bag  2@ 2.78                                                             $  5.56
1 bag boneless skinless chicken thighs                                            $  5.98
String Cheese 24 count 2 @ 5.98                                                    $11.96
Vidalia Onion 4 lb bag                                                                    $  4.28
Spaghetti Squash (4 squashes) 9.96 lbs @ 1.38 per lb                    $ 13.74
Bacon 3 lb                                                                                       $ 14.68
Avocado price matched to Aldi's ad  8 @ .33 each                         $  2.64
                                                                                   TOTAL =   $  58.84

t

No comments:

Post a Comment