Wednesday, September 11, 2013

EGGS!!! 9/9/13

I went to Harps to grab some body wash and toilet paper, and decided to pick up a dozen eggs while I was there.  Boy, am I glad that I did!  They had eggs on Manager's Special for a dollar a dozen for the extra large hormone free variety.  You know I was all over that!

20 dozen eggs @ 1.00 per dozen                                                          $ 20.00

I bought 20 dozen eggs.  Yes, that is correct, I purchased 240 eggs at once.

3 dozen, I made immediately into hard boiled eggs for snacking, topping salads, and egg salad.

1 and a half more dozen, I made into 2 delicious frittatas.  I had some leftover turkey meat/veggie mix from lettuce wraps the night before (http://paleoonthecheap.blogspot.com/2013/01/behold-power-of-lettuce-wrap.html) , so I added it to a skillet, dumped in a half bag of broccoli from the freezer, sliced two large tomatoes from the garden, diced a leftover chicken breast and mixed it all up till it was warm, then dumped it into pyrex pie plates for frittatas.  Mmmmmm.... :-)

Leftover turkey wrap mix                                         $ 1.50
Half a bag of frozen broccoli                                     $   .45
Tomatoes from garden                                              $    .35
Leftover chicken breast                                             $    .40
18 eggs @ $1 per dozen                                            $ 1.50
                                                               TOTAL =  $ 4.20

$ 4.20 for TWO large frittatas! $2.10 per frittata!  Each Frittata yields 6 slices, so it is ONLY $ .35 PER SLICE!!!!

$ .35 per slice for a goodly portion of frittata.  Add that to a salad, or some soup, and you have got a great meal for very little money.

2 dozen more made their way into freezable mini frittatas (loosely based on this recipe from Paleo Parents... http://paleoparents.com/2011/mini-egg-pizzas/) for breakfasts on the go, or to be packed in lunches.

Added to the fact that we have omelets or eggs of some form just about every morning for breakfast, and the eggs will be gone by their "sell by" dates in no time at all!

If I get close to the date (roughly a week from now) and I still have a lot of them, then I will look at freezing some of them.  Did you know that you can freeze eggs?  Crack them into a ziplock baggie and freeze.  Frozen eggs will not achieve the volume of fresh eggs when cooked up, so they work best for baking, but in a pinch some eggs, thawed from frozen, can scramble with veggies and cheese for breakfast just fine to my way of thinking.  To cut down on the sandwich bag waste, I plan on putting three per bag, since that is a standard serving around here.

I think that is it about my eggstravaganza!  ;-)

t


No comments:

Post a Comment