Friday, June 14, 2013

Paleo Oatmeal!

I have been making my own apple sauce in the slow cooker for a while now.  When I get a very good deal on apples, sometimes we do not eat them fast enough and they start to go soft.  I peel, core, dice, dump into a slow cooker, and sprinkle with cinnamon.  I do not add water, because I find that as the apples break down over hours in the slow cooker, the liquid that the apples themselves surrender is more than adequate, and does not make the end result too runny.

A few mornings ago, I noticed that it was time to make some more apple sauce.  As it was nearing completion, I thought about the recipe that I had tried from my new cookbook...

A couple of weeks ago, I bought what I think is going to be a really great addition to the cookbook collection: "Paleo Slow Cooking Recipes Made Simple." by Chrissy Gower.  I had only tried the "Slow Cooked Apple Almond Cereal" before, and it had gone over fairly well with the family as an alternative to oatmeal, which we love.  Our only issue was the lack of robust flavor in any area other than almond.

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Title/book--q1Yej_iI0SMMcmyuc2Hdg/page1.html?utm_source=productlistings&utm_medium=g&utm_campaign=title-Paleo+Slow+Cooking%3a+Gluten+Free+Recipes+Made+Simple&gclid=CLCx9dKP4bcCFXRk7AodtSQAzA

I had already diced 8 or 10 apples into the slow cooker with ground cinnamon, so before bed time, I added 4 cups of almond meal, and 4.5 cups of water.  I moved the temperature control to "low" and turned in for the night.  I lifted the lid 6 hours later, and it was more fragrant than the first recipe go-round.  I think that in the future, I will be grating or dicing 2 apples per cup of almond meal for this recipe.  The flavor is more to my liking with more apples in it.

10 apples                                                                               $2.79
4 cups almond meal                                                               $4.00
4 cups water                                                                           $0.08
                                                                             TOTAL = $6.87

This made about 10 medium servings, or 7 large servings, so figure between $ .69 or $ .99 per serving. Add a few cents for toppings, and you have a really good breakfast for about a buck.

In dishing up Husband's breakfast, I made it 4 ways... (knowing that I would take a pic for the blog...)


Top left - with a little bit of almond milk
Top right - with a pat of butter
Bottom left - with a drizzle of honey
Bottom right - with a sprinkle of cinnamon

Husband dumped all 4 mini servings into a bowl and ate that, declaring it to have "hit the spot".

You may feel the need to add salt to your individual serving.  I feel that the meal tastes flat if I do not add salt to it.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment