Saturday, February 23, 2013

Tilapia with coconut/almond crust


  (Modified from this recipe...  http://everydaypaleo.com/our-newest-team-member-cod-with-coconut-slaw-pico-de-gallo/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EverydayPaleo+%28Everyday+Paleo%29 )

Stealing shamelessly from Everyday Paleo, I am making Tilapia with a coating of coconut flakes and almond meal.  I paired it with a bed of seared cabbage.
 
5 tilapia fillets                                                                                      $2.75
1 1/2 C almond meal                                                                           $1.20
1/2 C coconut flakes                                                                           $  .60
1 egg                                                                                                  $  .15
                                                                                           Total =    $4.70

2 tbsp olive oil                                                                                    $  .20
Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder, onion powder                                         $  .20
1 head cabbage julienned                                                                    $1.29
                                                                                           Total =    $1.69

                                                                                 Total dinner =     $6.39


This is a 20 minute meal from beginning to end.
I started by putting my pan on the stove, and warming some olive oil in it.
Then, I started to pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
While those were warming, I got my cutting board out and started julienning the head of cabbage.
When I was done cutting, I dumped it into the pan.
Stir to coat all of the cabbage with the oil, then get the fish and egg out of the refrigerator.
Mix the almond meal and coconut flakes in a shallow tupperware container, then closed it a shook it to mix.
Crack the egg in a bowl and whisked it.
Then, stir the cabbage to keep it from burning on the bottom.
I rinsed my 5 tilapia fillets, then dredged them one at a time through the egg, then coated them in the almond/coconut mix before placing them on the cookie sheet lined with foil and rubbed with olive oil to make sure things did not stick.
 Put the coated fish into the oven and set a timer for 15 minutes.
 Stir the cabbage occasionally while the fish cooks.
When the fish is done, the cabbage should also be done.
Plate a bed of cabbage, then put a tilapia fillet on it.
Enjoy!

t
 




2 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your site:) can't wait to read more...I just made this fish this morning for breakfast, actually! I also got the recipe from the same site, love everyday paleo:) I just wanted to note that I toasted the coconut flakes before adding them to the almond meal and it really makes them sweet and crunchy. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the idea! I will definitely try that next time. I made a variation of this last week with Swai fillets, and did not have coconut. It works well with just the almond meal.

    I hope that you don't mind, but I took a gander at your blog, and I love it! Inspirational. Thank you for your kind comment, and I hope you enjoy any other recipes I find and share. :-)

    ReplyDelete