Friday, February 15, 2013

Beef Stew, Moroccan style. :-)

I like the frugal foodie site "Budget Bytes" http://www.budgetbytes.blogspot.com/

A couple of weeks ago, I came across her recipe for Moroccan Beef Stew, and it looked divine!  I had already done my big protein stock up for the month, so I put it on the list for this month's trip.  It has been years since I bought beef (we eat mostly chicken, eggs, turkey, fish and lamb) so I did have a bit of sticker shock at the price.  Stew meat, which is supposed to be a tougher cut of meat, and thus cheaper than a good quality piece of beef, was 4.39 per lb.

My 1.29 lbs of stew meat set me back 5.66 for this recipe.  Definitely worth it, though!  The original recipe, which she links to on her site, is made from lamb, so it is definitely on my list of "must try at some nebulous point in the future".  After Easter, when I stock up for the year on the post Easter lamb meat sales, I will definitely be trying it - especially since it is a crock potter, and I do love those.  Here is the recipe: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/08/moroccan-beef-stew-1297-recipe-216.html

2 tbsp Olive Oil                                                                .15
Stew Meat 1.29 lbs @ 4.39 lb                                        5.66
3 small yellow onions                                                        .60
2 inches fresh ginger                                                          .10
1 tbsp minced garlic                                                          .10
1 tbsp Jamaican allspice                                                    .05
1 tbsp cinnamon                                                                .05
6 oz tomato paste                                                              .39
2 tbsp honey                                                                      .20
2 cups red wine                                                               1.00
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper                                                .15
1 tsp salt                                                                            .10
1tsp pepper                                                                       .10
10 diced dried apricots (about half my 1.99bag)               1.00
1/2 cup raisins                                                                   .45
Spaghetti Squash                                                             5.58
                                                                     Total -      15.68

I doubled everything but the meat, since the spaghetti squash was a bit large, and I knew that I could possibly have leftovers. In retrospect, I am glad that I did, since the stew was quite meaty enough as I made it.

I also made a large salad with a few handfuls of baby spinach -1.00, some torn leaves from the artisan lettuces that I bought yesterday - .75, 2 tsp of capers - .20, some chopped mushrooms - .70, and a sprinkle of cheese - .40.  Salad total =  3.05

By the traditional standard of our household, that is an expensive meal.  15.68 + 3.05 = 18.73

$18.73 is still less than a meal at a fast food joint, and just read the volume of vegetables that were on our plates!  For once, Thing2 was not all about the new recipe.  She took a plate of spaghetti squash, sprinkled some shredded cheese over it, and called it dinner.  I am perfectly okay with that, since she got about 2-3 serving of vegetables in the large amount of squash that she piled on her plate. Thing1 ate plate of mushrooms and cheese, with some spinach leaves to top it off.  All in all, I thought it went well as far as meals go.  :-)

t

No comments:

Post a Comment