Thursday, February 14, 2013

Loving a busy life... (and groceries)

Thing1 went to the ortho this morning.  Dropped Thing2 off at school, went to orthodontist with Thing1, dropped her off at school, went to the store, waited in traffic while emergency vehicles cleared an accident from Hwy 102 on my way home.  Sent up prayers for anyone that might have been hurt. Made it to Thing2's school for her Valentine's Party by the skin of my teeth; mostly because I did not even try to get home to unload groceries.  Thank goodness for insulated re-usable grocery bags!  Especially because today was a protein stock up day.  I bought quite a bit of fish, because I have decided that I am going to master the art of poaching fish.

Poaching seems to be my Achilles heel in the world of kitchcraft.  I have tried on no fewer than 6 occasions to poach fish, and all of them have turned out badly.  However, I will not allow this to deter me!  Aldi had frozen Tilapia and frozen Swai Fillets on sale, $5.49 for 32 oz.  For that price, I can afford to have a failure, but am hoping to finally being successful in my poaching endeavors.

Part of my New Year's Resolution was to try 2 new recipes each week.  One of the things that I have worked towards in making it possible for us to be a Paleo (adjacent) family is to keep the meals from being boring and redundant.  Towards that end, I do not serve the same meal twice in a 2 week period, and I try not to make the same meal more than once a month.  There are exceptions, always.  I have made Frittata twice in a week before, at the beginning, and at the end, because it is a super-easy meal to throw together, and Husband is quite fond of it.  Plus, you can flavor up a frittata in many different ways.  I have whisked Sriracha into the eggs before for a little kick, and highly suggest that if you like Sriracha, you try it.

I am a little behind on this, because last week, I was dealing with being sick, and sick babies.  Mercifully, Husband was unscathed, and was very sweet in taking care of us all.  I am pretty sure that he would not have even wanted to eat anything made by my communicable self.

Day before yesterday, I was in a waiting room much of my day.  A close friend was having knee surgery, and she and her husband needed someone to watch my God-daughter so that her hubs could be back in recovery with her.  Plus, I got to keep him company for the two hours that my friend was in surgery.

Knowing that Tuesday was going to be spent in mostly idle pursuits away from home, I prepared.  I did a quick kitchen inventory on Monday, and brought a notebook and pen with me for meal planning and grocery list making.

I knew that I wanted to make Budget Byte's  Moroccan Beef Stew, but beyond that, I had no clear idea of what I wanted to make.  Some time alone with a blank piece of paper, my smart phone, and an ability to check out the weekly specials of Aldi and Harps electronically did wonders for my getting back into focus.  4.5 hours with free wi-fi later, I have a grid of meals for a month based on what I already had, and the specials at my local grocers.  :-)

I got out today and went by Aldi, and a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, which is on the way to Aldi's.  I picked up some fairly sizable spaghetti squashes at Neighborhood Market: 4 of them -
                                                                                                                                   $5.58
                                                                                                                                   $5.88
                                                                                                                                   $5.43
                                                                                                                                   $5.53 
                                                                                                                 Total =     $22.42
I also picked up some sweet potatoes @ .88 per lb - 9.34 lbs for $8.22

Neighborhood Market total = $30.64

I am sure that by now, you have figured out that I do my primary shopping at Aldi.  I tend to do my larger stock up trips there.

Ground Turkey 11 @ 1.69                                                                                      $18.59
Mushrooms 8oz clamshell @ 1.59 x 4                                                                      $  6.36
Celery 1.19 per pack x 2                                                                                         $  2.38
Spinach 3 bags (9oz bags) @ 1.69 per bag                                                              $  5.07
Artisan Lettuce 2 x 1.99                                                                                           $ 3.98
Iceberg Lettuce 3 x 1.09                                                                                          $  3.27
Broccoli Crowns  2 large crowns per pack x 2 packs @1.49each                             $ 2.98
Carrots 2lb bags - 2 bags @ .99                                                                               $ 1.98
Frozen Swai Fillet 32oz packs  x 3 packs @ 5.49 each                                             $16.47
Medium EZ Peel Raw Shrimp 3 packs @ 4.99 each                                                 $14.97
Tilapia Fillets 32 oz packs x 3 packs @ 5.49 each                                                    $16.47
Wild Caught Salmon 1lb packs @ 3.99 each x 3                                                      $11.97
Beef Stew Meat 2 packs @ 5.66 and 6.06                                                              $11.72
Bananas @ .19 per lb                                                                                              $  3.86
Sweet Onions 2lb bags x 3 @ 1.69 each                                                                  $  5.07
Sweet Potatoes 3lb bags x 3 @ 1.49 each                                                               $  4.47
Lemons 19 cents each x 30 lemons                                                                          $  5.70
Center cut bacon 3 x 3.69                                                                                       $11.07
Turkey Bacon 5 x 2.19                                                                                           $10.95
Shredded Cheddar x 4 @ 3.29                                                                               $13.16
Pepper Jack block 2 @ 1.79 each                                                                          $  3.58
Swiss Cheese block                                                                                                $  1.79
Mozzarella Cheese block                                                                                        $  1.79
Dried Apricots 2 @ 1.99                                                                                        $  3.98
Dried Cranberries    2 @ 1.39                                                                                $  2.78
Butter quarters 2 @ 2.29                                                                                        $  4.58
Diced Tomatoes 24 @ .59                                                                                      $14.16
Almond Milk 4 @ 2.49                                                                                           $  9.96
Honey Nut Oats (Yes, I still buy them.  For now...)  2 @ 1.69                                 $  3.38
Green pepper 3 packs x 2 @ 1.49                                                                           $  2.98
Multi colored pepper 3 pack                                                                                    $  2.49
Taco mix 3 x .35                                                                                                      $ 1.05
Pitted Prunes                                                                                                            $ 1.69
Olive Oil                                                                                                                   $ 2.79
Eggs 10 dozen @ 1.69                                                                                             $16.90
Chunk tuna in water 12 @ .69                                                                                  $ 8.28
Grape Jelly x2 @ 1.69                                                                                              $ 3.38
                                                                                                           Total =        $256.05

Total for the day... $30.64 + $256.05 =  $286.69

From these groceries, plus a few things purchased previously, and still in my cupboard or freezer, I will make the following entrees.  Sides will be decided upon a whim on the day of preparation, unless otherwise indicated.  I have enough to make a few of the meals twice, so I am not too worried about getting to the store again for almost a month.
Moroccan Beef Stew over Spaghetti Squash with salad (twice)
Chicken Cacciatore (twice)
Chicken Salad lettuce wraps
Meatloaf (twice)
Smoked Sausage and cabbage
Chicken curry (twice or more)
French Onion Soup with Frittata and side salad
Bacon wrapped BBQ shrimp salad
Cabbage rolls, Paleo style (twice)
Salmon (twice)
Tilapia (6 times)
Swai (6 times)
Albondigas Soup with Salad
Bolognese sauce over spaghetti Squash
Chili and Naan (twice)
Stuffed Peppers
Nicoise Salad

The tuna that I buy during each monthly protein trip goes almost exclusively into snacking, and quick meals.  Upend a drained can of tuna over a bed of spinach, and you have created a meal in less than a minute.  Add some mayo, mustard, capers, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper to a drained can of tuna, and you have a fine dipper for some carrots or celery.  Or a snack all on it's own with a spoon.

 17 meals to choose from, and 26-34 complete meals at my fingertips.  These meals, plus the big pot of skinny soup that I am going to make tomorrow, and I feel fairly certain that I will not have to go for anything more than produce and almond milk for three weeks.  Good feeling. :-)

t

No comments:

Post a Comment