Monday, June 10, 2013

Tomatillo Salsa

I have been making my own salsa for some time now.  Husband likes home-made better than store bought.  I adjust it to his preferred heat index, and I can customize it the way we like it. After seeing this blog entry on Paleo Nick's site (http://www.paleonick.com/articles/Tomatillo-Salsa), I decided to try my hand at Tomatillo Salsa.

Basic Tomatillo Salsa...

8 choice tomatillos

Boil the tomatillos.  I tossed 2 cloves garlic in the water with them.

10 dried Arbol peppers

Juice from a medium lemon

Place boiled tomatillos, peppers, 2 boiled cloves garlic, and three more fresh cloves into blender with a handful of cilantro - pour lemon juice over and sprinkle salt to taste - BLEND!

Pour into your clean Ball jar

Tomatillo Salsa ready for consumption!
I added quite a bit too much cilantro, and had to make another batch the next day without any cilantro, mix the two batches, and re-jar and stow in the fridge.

Tomatillos                                                                                          $  .87
5 garlic cloves                                                                                    $  .20
Lemon for juice                                                                                  $ .25
Arbol peppers                                                                                    $  .50
Salt                                                                                                     $  .05
Cilantro                                                                                              $  .25
                                                                                      TOTAL =    $2.12

If I had used the proper cilantro ratio the first time, I could have saved another two bucks, but as it was, I made about a quart and a half of Tomatillo Salsa for less than 5 bucks.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment