Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Dates

A couple of months ago, I injured my foot trying a 5k.  I have a lovely friend that offered to bring my family dinner, and one of the tasties that she brought over was cream cheese filled bacon wrapped dates.  My family fell on them like they had not eaten in weeks, and Thing1 asked me f I could ever make them for our family at our house, and could I make them every day, pretty please?  My wonderfully lovely (bordering on goddess, really - not gonna lie) friend has kindly given me the recipe, and I am trying my hand at it.  This recipe can utilize cream cheese for a paleo-esque experience, or simply dates and bacon for hard core Paleo eaters.

I find my dates in the baking aisle.  Whole dates are next to the chopped dates you can use for baking.  Slice open the date so that you can stuff it with plain cream cheese.

1 8oz bag of pitted dates                                                $  3.08
1 box cream cheese                                                       $  1.59
1 package bacon                                                            $  3.49
                                                                     TOTAL = $ 8.16 (and worth EVERY PENNY!!)

Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.

Dates cut in half
Closer look at dates cut in half
 Then, put a schmear of cream cheese into each date...


I cut my bacon into three parts, and that worked fine for wrapping, but I think that in the future, I will only cut the bacon in half due to shrinkage in the cooking process.


 Wrap the cream cheese stuffed dates...

Now, place the bacon wrapped dates on a foil lined cookie sheet...

And, cook at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.


When I took them out of the oven, I set them on the stove top to cool.  When I walked by 5 minutes later, I saw something that convinced me that I should have taken my "after" photo as soon as they were done.

I think they are a HIT!!  ;-)

t

UPDATE: With the bacon cut into halves, instead of thirds, it took longer for the bacon to cook.  I baked at 375 for 35 minutes, and they were wonderful, if I do say so myself.  ;-)

ANOTHER UPDATE:  Use some leftover mashed sweet potatoes for the filling!!!  It is FABULOUS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment