Monday, June 10, 2013

Paleo Scotch Eggs

I had never made Scotch Eggs before seeing them on Mark's Daily Apple.  I had not heard of them before, but became immediately intrigued.  (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-scotch-eggs/#axzz2VpClhRKh)

1 lb sage pork sausage                                                                                           $2.49
6 eggs    @ .15                                                                                                       $  .90
olive oil                                                                                                                  $  .20
                                                                                                       TOTAL   =    $3.59

First off, you need to have a kick ass hard boiled egg.  I loosely follow the instructions from this video...  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y) Kind of, but not exactly.  I put my eggs in my pan, cover with water by about an inch, and a heaping tablespoon of baking soda, get it to a rolling boil, cover and let boil for 2 minutes, then turn the heat off under it.  I set a timer for 15 minutes, then come back and rinse the eggs with cold water to arrest the cooking process.  I do not get the horrid green sulfur ring on my eggs, and they do not taste "off".  I have not been able to duplicate the cool blow-on-the-egg-so-it-popps-out-of-the-shell trick yet, but I do work on it when I boil eggs.

I cut the sausage roll in half, then each half cut into thirds.  Work the sausage a bit in your hands to warm it, so it will more easily be spread into a very thin layer over the surface of your hard boiled egg.  I try to make the layer very thin so that cooking the pork will not overcook the egg.







These little bombs are flavorful and fantastically filling!  2 eggs are more than enough to fuel you for the majority of the morning, until your healthy, Paleo lunch!

t

No comments:

Post a Comment