Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Trip to ONF for alternate nut butters

In Fayetteville, there is a very nice food co-op.  I had never been, but I had been hearing about it for 11 years, ever since Husband and I moved to Northwest Arkansas from the "Big D".  I was going to be in Fayetteville in order to take an  OSP (oh so pregnant) friend to Terra Tots. ( http://www.terra-tots.com/ )

I took the opportunity to drag her to Ozark Natural Foods (  http://www.ozarknaturalfoods.com/  ).  She has been a member ever since her college days at UofA - Fayetteville campus.  I parked her at the deli - which is VERY cool in and of itself.  They have all sorts of breads, wraps, and soups.  For less than 5 bucks, you can get a veggie wrap on a gluten free, wheat and grain free wrap.  Not sure that it is dead on Paleo, but it is a very healthful meal with a very low glycemic index.  I will definitely be making ONF a regular thing.  Maybe every other month or so.

My mission on this day was to price out, and possibly buy, some alternate nut butters.  I wound up getting Sunbutter Organic Sunflower Seed Spread.  I looked at the non-organic versions of this brand, mostly because they were cheaper, and saw some un-pronounceable ingredients.  The ingredient list for the version that I bought?  " Roasted Organic Sunflower Seed" and that is it. It was $7.79 for a 16 oz jar, and I bought 2.  I also picked up a jar of "Eastwind Nut Butters; Almond Butter Crunchy - no salt" for 8.99 per 16 oz jar.  Grand total before tax? $25.78  Since we are not big peanut butter eaters, I had thought it would not be difficult to make the transition to the alternate nut butters.

Only one issue.  Husband is going through the sunflower butter twice as fast as he had ever gone through peanut butter.  He has found an amazingly satisfying Paleo snack that I must say I also love.  Put some sunflower butter in the bottom of a bowl and heat for about 15-30 seconds, until it is runny.  Cut up some bananas into the bowl and stir.  Crumble walnuts over the concoction and stir once more, then eat.  LOVE IT!!!  In the grand scheme of things, this $2.00 treat is so much better than donuts, or honey buns, or any other similarly priced flour based snack.  Is it full of fat? Yes.  Are they healthy fats? Yes.  Should this be an every day treat? No.  Should it be a big bowl? No.

Needless to say, our new found love of sunflower butter just might be the Achilles heel of our monthly food budget if we are not careful.

Keeping on with the snack topic, Paleo Banana Bread in a bowl with almond milk poured over it is Thing1's favorite all time breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack.  She would eat it as many times as I would let her in a day.  I love it as a parent when I hit a culinary home run.  Now, if only Thing2 would be as enthusiastic about anything that I make.  <sigh>

t

p.s.  As if to add insult to injury, Thing2 is absently licking the little bits of play dough left on her hands left from her playing with it earlier.  Yes, play dough.  <sigh and palm smack>

No comments:

Post a Comment