Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Shepherd's Pie, Paleo style


One of the meals that my family has enjoyed over the past few years, that I was worried we would have to do without under a Paleo lifestyle, is Shepherd's Pie.  Glory Halleluja, sweet potatoes make for a VERY good Shepherd's Pie.  I made a basic Bolognese sauce.  I saw the recipe on youtube, and have altered it slightly for my needs.  Yellowsaffron is a youtube channel that I subscribed to a while back.  They specialize in Italian food, which has been the hardest habit to kick in the transition to Paleo.  At least this rendition of Shepherd's Pie lets me get to keep making my bolognese! WooHoo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwyCUOijLeE


First, I fill a pot with rinsed sweet potatoes, then cover with water and put on to boil.
 
I take 5 or six slices of bacon and cut them into pieces, toss them into my dutch oven and let them crisp up.  Dice 2 onions and let them caramelize in the fat from the bacon.  If necessary, I have added a tablespoon or 2 of butter, but I have found that the fat from the bacon is normally sufficient.  Then add three diced stalks of celery.  Grate up 2 carrots and add them too.    When the vegetables are softened, add 2 pounds of ground meat.  I chose ground turkey this time because I always have it on hand.  1 cup of red wine, and simmer until the wine is integrated into the meat.  This will take a few minutes.  Add your cup of bone broth.  In the video, the recipe calls for 2 tbsp of tomato paste, I use a 24 oz can of tomato sauce or a 24 oz jar of spaghetti sauce.  I did not add milk or cheese.  

When the potatoes are softened, take them from the water and let them cool.  The peels should be able to be removed easily.  I rub a paper towel over the surface, and it comes off.  Use a hand mixer, 1/2 a stick of butter, and some plain almond milk to blend until smooth.

Put the Bolognese sauce in a pyrex dish, then cover with the mashed sweet potatoes and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. 
Bolognese Sauce

Bacon                                 $  .75
2 Onions                             $  .40
Celery                                 $  .15
Carrots                               $  .35
Ground turkey $1.19x2       $2.38
Red Wine 1 cup                  $  .50
Bone Broth                         $  .10
Butter                                  $  .15
                      Total =          $4.78

Boil sweet potatoes until softened and ready to blend with hand mixer




Thanks to Aldi's having Sweet Potatoes for 87 cents per 3 lb bag, my topping of mashed Sweet Potatoes was only $ .87.   Add 1/2 a stick of butter ($ .50) and almond Milk until smooth ($ .75)                                
Complete total = $5.65 for the Shepherd's Pie, Paleo Style  :-)

Add a mixed salad for about $1.50, and my family ate well for $8.40.

t

Finished Product

1 comment:

  1. Are You Having Problems STICKING with the Paleo Diet?

    Do you want to eat some delicious recipes TONIGHT?

    Check out this book: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete