Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pumpkin chili and naan bread

Yesterday, I made pumpkin chili and naan bread for dinner, and the husband and I loved it.  Thing1 and Thing2 loved the naan bread, but not the pumpkin chili.  Thing2 tries to avoid anything new that is not fried, sugar coated or bacon flavored, and Thing1 gave it an honest try.  She finished half her bowl, but it is not a favorite by any stretch of the imagination. I think that next time I try the chili, I will punch it up with some sriracha or a little more chili powder.

Recipe for Pumpkin Chili (from Maria Mind Body Health  http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/ )

Here is the recipe from the website:

1 lb grass fed ground beef  (I used ground turkey because it was what I had in the freezer already)
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1 Bell Pepper, I used a yellow one
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I did not have the fire roasted variety)
2 4oz cans of green chiles
1 15oz can pumpkin puree
1 C. Organic beef stock (I used bone broth that I had made from my T-giving turkey carcass)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Add all ingredients to slow cooker  and cook on low for 7 hours

I also added some onion powder, red chili flakes, and garlic powder to the pot.  I will definitely be making this again!!

Ground turkey $1.19 /   Yellow Onion 20 cents /  Bell Pepper $1 / Garlic cloves 15 cents / Can Tomatoes 59 cents a can / 2  4 oz cans of green chiles $1 / 15 oz pumpkin puree 20 cents (I make my own) / 1 C. bone broth 15 cents (I make my own) / Spices - let's call that about 50 cents.  Thus, the whole pot cost about 5 bucks to make, and it is hard to beat that! 

Naan bread!!  I lifted this recipe in it's entirety from "Southern Girl Goes Paleo"

http://southerngirlgoespaleo.blogspot.com/search?q=naan

4 whole eggs
1/4 c coconut oil
2 pinches salt
1/2 c coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2/3 to 1/2 c coconut milk or water
Mix everything together (except the water/coconut milk component) until it is thick, then add water/coconut milk until it is like thick-ish pancake batter.  Butter your griddle, then spoon mixture onto griddle, you will probably have to tap down the mix to a thin cake.  It made 12 cake like naan breads for me.

The cost breakdown for the naan: 4 eggs  53 cents / coconut oil 70 cents / coconut flour $1 / baking powder, salt, and water, let's call it 20 cents.  Total $2.43

They turned out in texture, and a little bit in the flavor, to be very much like the Johnny Cakes that my grandmother made, so with this recipe, I also got a sweet connection with my grandmother, whom I miss quite a bit.

Things 1&2 loved them so much that I plan to start making this recipe in place of pancakes in the morning.  I have been looking for versions of pancakes and waffles that are more in line with Paleo than the traditional recipes, since pancakes and waffles are a favorite breakfast around our house.  Paired with pure maple syrup, and some bacon, and this coming Saturday promises to become a family favorite for weekend breakfasts!

T

UPDATE:  Alternate naan takes egg and coconut flour:  separate an egg, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks, then mix the egg yolks with coconut flour, then fold in the egg white until blended.  I do a teaspoon per egg.  I like that consistency, and it seems to cook up well.  For breakfast pancakes, I add some honey and cinnamon.  For Naan bread with chili or stews, I leave the sweeteners out.  Cook it up on a griddle, and serve.  (Waffles work well from this recipe also...  Check out my entry about waffles... http://paleoonthecheap.blogspot.com/2013/01/waffles-and-tikka-masala.html




1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete