Friday, November 30, 2012

11/29/2012 Grocery Trip and Simple Paleo Frittata

I have traditionally purchased my groceries at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, Wal-Mart Superstores, Aldi, or Harps. Today's trip was at Aldi.  In preparation for our totally Paleo Thanksgiving, I went to Cooks Natural Market for the first time, and I will definitely be returning  I will state unequivocally right now that I am not as of yet going the total organic / grass fed foodstuffs route.  I do not know for sure that I ever will.

I do know that I like the eggs that I get from the woman down the road, they are from cage free chickens that eat crickets, worms, etc...  and the yolks are a deep yellow and the whites are firm.  Downside: they are $3.50 per dozen.  During the summer, my cage free wonderful eggs are much more available, since hens apparently lay more during the spring and summer seasons.  They slow down in the fall; and at winter, I am not able to buy them at all, since my egg lady gets pretty much only enough for her own family during the winter months.  As a result, she does not offer them for sale at this time of year.  Conversely, eggs at Aldi are $1.59 per dozen, and the Goldhen brand eggs come from chickens that are not given growth hormones, and that is better than half the commercially available eggs out there.  So, for the winter months, my egg source will be Aldis.

Today's trip was to Aldi, and among my purchases where:
Flat Leaf Spinach - $1.79 per 9oz bag (2 bags)                      = $3.38
Mushrooms  -  $1.49 per 8oz clamshell (3)                             = $4.47
Banana  - .29 per lb (crazy low price - woohoo!) 15.5 lbs       = $4.50
Broccoli - .85 per 1lb bag - frozen  (6 bags)                            = $5.10
Granny Smith Apples 3lb bag                                                  = $1.99
Gala Apples  3lb bag                                                               = $1.99
Almond Milk $2.49 per 1/2 gallon (4)                                      = $9.96
Eggs $1.59 per dozen (6)                                                         = $9.54
Diced Tomatoes .59 per can (7 cans)                                       = $4.13 
IQF Boneless Thigh (3lb bag)                                                  = $ 6.29
Tilapia Fillets 3.99 per 1lb bag (2bags)                                    = $ 7.98
Hot dogs .75 per 12oz packs (6 packs)                                   = $2.79
Unsalted butter 1.99 per box (4 boxes)                                    = $7.96
Sweet Potatoes 1.49 per bag (3 bags)                                      = $4.74

$74.82 is not too shabby for what will become many meals.  Broccoli soup, Tilapia, Frittata, Chicken in Mustard Sauce, and several more.

About the hot dogs that you see on this list...
I know that the hot dogs that I currently buy are not Paleo in the least.  They are processed tube meat of questionable origin, and I know it.  My kids have been surprisingly easy to transition to our current Paleo adjacent diet.  I have had some very frank discussions with them about the foods that we eat, and how Husband and I are working on eating more healthfully ourselves, and learning and teaching healthier eating habits all around the family.  They totally get the goals that we are working towards, and are very enthusiastic about putting their 2 cents in for menu planning.  I was surprised at the reaction from both girls when I stopped buying hot dogs.   They made me aware in no uncertain terms that hot dogs are a dear and beloved part of their diet of choice, so 79 cents per package hot dogs went back on the grocery list

Thing1 is always up for trying new things in the realm of food.  If I keep putting good things in front of her, she will try them all.  Thing2 is the polar opposite.  She rejects everything that is not a chicken nugget or cinnamon toast.  She believes there are only 3 food groups, and they are carbs, sugar, and bacon.  She would not eat 90% of what I put in front of her before.  She will not eat 90% of what I put in front of her now.   She did wind up transitioning to Almond Milk and water seamlessly from juices and cow's milk, so I am counting my blessings on that score, and know that she will eventually come to like the Paleo meals that we serve her now. 



Looking at what we had transitioned from, and in which direction we were heading as a family, I figured that in the grand scheme of things, keeping hot dogs in their world was not a bad thing.  Plus, when I find a Paleo hot dog (like Applegate Organic & Natural Meats brand) locally, it will be no fight to get them to start eating them.

For dinner tonight, I will be making a frittata with mushroom, onion, and broccoli.  I will also be making broccoli and pine nut soup.




I tweaked a recipe from Budget Bytes (http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/11/spinach-mushroom-feta-crustless-quiche.html) for the frittata.
 Sautee:
4 oz mushrooms
1/2 an onion
1/2 bag frozen broccoli (1lb)
Dump the sauteed veggies into a buttered pie plate.  Cover with eggs (6 whole eggs, 6 egg whites / or 8 whole eggs), then put into 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes.

Broccoli and pine nut soup recipe:
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp oil or butter
1 bag frozen broccoli
5 or 6 cups chicken or veggie stock (I use home-made bone broth)
1/4 cup pine nuts
I caramelize the onion in the bottom of a sauce pan with butter.  While that is going on, I put half the broccoli and half the broth into my blender.  When the onions are done, I dump all of them into the blender.  Blend until smooth, then pour the finished product in the pan.  Put the other half of broth and broccoli into your blender, blend and pour into the pan.  Salt and pepper to taste.

1 1/2 bags broccoli   $1.28/  4oz mushrooms $.75 / 1 1/2 Onions $.30 / Eggs $1.59 / Butter $.15 / Bone Broth $.15 / Pine Nuts $.35 / Spices $.10

Total for dinner = $4.32

Feeding all 4 members of my family a Paleo meal for under 5 bucks?  Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. :-)

t

No comments:

Post a Comment