Monday, January 7, 2013

Paleo Waffles!! and Tikka Masala

A family favorite has always been pancakes or waffles in the mornings.  As stated before, Thing2 loves all things carb and breadlike.  In looking for a youtube clip that I had previously seen on how to make primal ho-ho's I found a recipe for primal waffles!!  I already have all of the ingredients on hand to make them, and I believe that the family would like to have them as a good start this morning.  Today is the first day of school after the Christmas and New Year school break, and I think that the kids will like an extra special breakfast.

Here is the clip...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oogSgJMCP-4
(waffle recipe starts at 2 minutes 33 seconds)


Of course, I added some goodies of my own to it.  I added a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a drizzle of molasses.







In case you do not feel like watching the video, get out two bowls.  Separate your eggs.  Into the bowl with the egg yolks, put one tsp of coconut flour per egg yolk, drizzle in some honey or molasses, and shake in some cinnamon and nutmeg, or any other seasonings that you like. Take your hand mixer and whip your egg whites into stiff peaks.  Then, mix the yolks with the ingredients in their bowl.  When the yolks are well blended, dump your egg whites in and fold them into the mix.  I cheat, and set my hand mixer to the lowest setting, and blend them quickly with the yolk mixture.  Only for a couple of seconds, because I do not want to make the mix "flat".  I have a waffle iron that makes 4 medium sized waffles, and three eggs will fill my waffle iron once.
 
6 eggs, separated                                                                                                             $  .90
6 tsp coconut flour                                                                                                           $  .50
Molasses and cinnamon                                                                                                   $  .15
                                                                                                                          Total =  $1.55 

Add a dollar for butter and real maple syrup, 50 cents for almond butter and 2.19 for a rasher of turkey bacon, and everyone was full of Paleo goodness for 5 dollars and 24 cents!          Breakfast total = $5.24!! For 4 people!!

To keep it simple, I did a teaspoon of coconut flour for each egg, and that worked very well for me this morning.  This recipe is versatile too.  I used the unsweet version to make some bread for dinner.

I used it in place of naan bread recipe, because I noticed during waffles this morning that the texture was very similar to the naan bread that I shared from southern girl goes paleo's blog.  Without the cinnamon and molasses, the flavor was almost dead on too.  I thought this morning that it might work as an accompaniment to dinner, and I was right.  I love it when a plan comes together! :-) 

For dinner, I made Tikka Masala with chicken and cauliflower, with panckaes made from the same recipe as this morning's waffles.

1 head cauliflower                                                                                                     $  .89
2 chicken breasts                                                                                                      $ 2.18
Tikka Masala sauce; gift from my foodie uncle - gluten free,  price looked up on line    $ 4.25
Thin cakes  (minus molasses and cinnamon)                                                              $ 1.40
                                                                                                                Total =    $ 8.72

t

No comments:

Post a Comment