Saturday, January 12, 2013

semi spectacular failure and pie

I love The Paleo Secret's website.  I pretty much lifted my Thanksgiving menu directly from their site.  I saw their recipe for Biscuits and squash butter.  http://www.thepaleosecret.com/2012/09/20/biscuits-and-squash-butter/

It looked delicious!  I finally had time after the holidays to try this recipe.  I loved the squash spread recipe.  It was a flavorful spread.  The texture of the biscuits was good, but the flavor was very flat.  Maybe I did something wrong, but they just did not taste good.  The next time I make them, I am definitely going to tinker with the recipe.  So, I wound up with something that looked like it was supposed to...


But tasted flat.  Nobody wanted to eat more than a serving, myself included.

BISCUITS
6 egg whites                                                                                           $  .84
1/4 cup coconut flour                                                                              $  .75
3/4 cup almond flour                                                                               $ 1.00
1tsp baking powder                                                                                $   .05
1 1/2 tbsp grass fed butter                                                                       $  .15
dash salt                                                                                                  $  .05
                                                                                            Total =        $2.84
SQUASH SPREAD
1 baked butternut squash                                                                          $ 3.85
3 tbsp grass few butter                                                                              $  .30
1 tsp cinnamon/ pinch salt                                                                          $  .05
                                                                                              Total =       $4.20

To prepare butternut squash, bisect the squash lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and bake on a cookie sheet (open face down) at 400 for 30 minutes.  Let cool, then scoop out flesh and mash with other ingredients...

But, all was not lost.  While I did not have time to try my hand at making another batch of biscuits, I did not want the Butternut Squash Spread to go to waste.  Enter the quick and easy Paleo Butternut Squash Pie!

I made a quick paleo pie crust (LOVE the simplicity of that recipe!!!) and while it was cooking in the oven, I mixed 2 eggs,a healthy squirt of honey, a tbsp of vanilla extract, a tablespoon of baking powder, and some cinnamon and nutmeg in with the butternut squash.  Poured into the finished pie crust, I baked it at 350 for  an hour.

PIE FILLING
Squash spread                                                                                         $4.20
2 eggs                                                                                                      $  .28
honey/vanilla/baking powder/spices                                                          $  .75
                                                                                         Total =           $5.23

PIE CRUST
1 1/2 cups nut flour                                                                                $1.50
4 tbsp grass fed butter                                                                            $ .70
                                                                                               Total =   $2.20 + $5.23 = $7.43 per pie




I forgot to take an after picture, but it was a very pretty pie, I promise.  :-)

t


No comments:

Post a Comment