Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Groceries 7/20/ to make refrigerator jam, which happens to be (mostly) Paleo!

On the 15th of July, Kitten The Juice Pirate posted a recipe to her FB page.  It was for refrigerator jam made from Strawberries, rhubarb, honey, and chia seeds.  Again, I know chia seeds are not strictly paleo, but I love them, and they help to detox my body in a gentle way.  So, for the foreseeable future, they are part of my diet.  Here is the link that she posted that inspired me to make some of my own refrigerator jam!  http://rawforbeauty.com/blog/refrigerator-jam.html

I went to the store to grab some rhubarb and eggs.  When I passed the frozen strawberries, I saw that they had 1 lb bags for 2.18.  I had gotten a deal at Aldi earlier in the season for strawberries for 99 cents per lb, but that meant that I had to process them myself, so the actual price was closer to $1.50 per lb after chopping off the green bits and the soft bits to feed to chickens; and sending the bad bits to the composter.  The sweat equity I chalk up to the price of having strawberries for my smoothies year round.  But, at a dollar off a 1 lb bag, it was worth it to me to grab 5 bags.  Was it an impulsive food buy?  Yep.

Frozen whole strawberries 1 lb bags 5@2.18                                                 $ 10.90
2 dozen large eggs   @ 1.88 each                                                                    $  3.76
Rhubarb  .52 lb @ 2.99 per lb.                                                                        $  1.55
Tax                                                                                                                  $    .73
                                                                                                  TOTAL   =   $ 16.94

I have made the jam, and it is good, but I have not downloaded the pics.  When I get that done, I will be sharing the experience with y'all!

t

No comments:

Post a Comment