Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Groceries 4/1/13... I wish the total had been an April Fools joke!

Spring break kind of cleared me out.  I have also been slacking on packing lunches for the girls, and Thing1's skin is showing it.  She is broken out something horrible.  So, I need to get both girls back onto a clean lunch diet this week.  I meant to go shopping over the weekend, but did not get to it.  It was a rainy weekend and cold to boot.  I was lazy and read.

Almond Milk  3 @ 2.49                                                           $ 7.47
Artisan Lettuce                                                                         $ 1.99
Cream Cheese 5@ .99                                                             $ 4.95
Yogurt covered raisins (for lunches) 4@ 1.79                         $ 7.16
Bananas 19.95 lbs @ .29 per lb                                               $ 5.79
Flat leaf spinach 5@ 1.69                                                        $ 8.45
Sweet Potato chips 2 @ 1.99                                                   $ 3.98
Grape tomatoes   2@ 1.29                                                       $ 2.58
Navel oranges 4 lb bags 3 @ 1.49                                           $ 4.47
Onions 3 lb bag 2 @ 1.69                                                        $ 3.38
Pineapple 5 @ 1.29                                                                  $ 6.45
Red delicious apples 3 lb bag 2 @ 3.49                                   $ 6.98
Granny Smith apples 3 lb bag 2 @ 3.49                                  $ 6.98
Mushrooms 8 oz clamshells 4 @ $1.59                                   $ 6.36
Carrots 2 lb bag                                                                        $  .99
Eggplant  2@ 1.49                                                                  $ 2.98
Butter quarters 5 @ 1.99                                                          $ 9.95
12 grain bread (I know) 3 @ 1.69                                            $ 5.07
Almonds 12 oz bags 6 @ 3.99                                                $23.94
Dark chocolate covered espresso beans 14 @ 2.99                 $41.86
Deli meats 3 lbs @ 3.49 per lb                                                $10.47
Center cut bacon 3 @ 3.69                                                     $11.07
Turkey Bacon 3 @ 2.19                                                         $ 6.57
Pepper Jack 4@ 1.79                                                              $ 7.16
String cheese 3 @ 2.49                                                           $ 7.47
Shredded mozzarella                                                               $ 3.29
Shredded cheddar  2 @ 3.29                                                   $ 6.58
Broccoli Crowns 4 @ .99                                                       $ 3.96
Iceberg lettuce 2 @ 1.09                                                         $ 2.18
Chunk tuna in water 6 @ .69                                                  $ 4.14
Diced Tomatoes 6 @ .59                                                        $ 3.54
Vinaigrette Dressing 7 @ 1.99                                               $13.93
Large pitted black olives 3 @ .99                                           $ 2.97
Spanish olives 2 @ 1.19                                                         $ 2.38
Fruit leathers 2 @ 1.99                                                           $ 3.98
Raisins 6 packs 2 @ 1.39                                                       $ 2.78
Large eggs 10 @ 1.59                                                           $15.90
Fruit gummies                                                                        $ 3.49
Dried cranberries  2 @ 1.39                                                   $ 2.78
Dried fruit assortment                                                             $ 1.49
Dried apricots 2 @ 1.99                                                         $ 3.89
Cashew halves 2 @ 2.79                                                       $ 4.98
Natural Trail mix 4 @ 5.49                                                  $21.96
                                                                        Total       $    308.47

I purchased almost twice as many fruits, vegetables, and dried fruits as normal because I am trying my hand at a couple of different things.  I have blended green smoothies for myself a few times, and I am gearing up to make that a daily thing.  I offer one to Husband each time, but he turns me down flat.  To him smoothies of are the fruit variety, not the veggie variety.  I hope to win him to the green side one of these days.  I will keep offering.  :-)

I am not juicing, I am blending.  I bought a Ninja blender on clearance at Wal-Mart for $25.00, and have made myself a large (24 oz) green smoothie a few times.  It fills me up more than juicing does, and I do not gaze wistfully at the pulp and fiber that I am putting into the composter after I juice.  I saw David Wolfe on a couple of different health/weight loss oriented documentaries on Netflix, and when I googled him, I saw an infomercial of the Nutribullet.  It seemed the answer to the fact that I wanted all of the health benefits of juicing but did not want to waste all of that beautiful fiber.  But, they are $100.00, and not in the immediate budget.  So, in February, I started saving $20.00 per month towards it's purchase.

A little over a week and a half ago, when I saw a Ninja on sale,  I already had $40.00 set aside.  I went ahead and bought the Ninja, instead of waiting for the Nutribullet.  I am super glad that I did!  I may still get the Nutribullet at a later date, if the Ninja ever gives out.  But, in the meantime, I am drinking my way through 5-8 servings of vegetables and fruits first thing in the morning.  It gives me comfort to know that I am getting raw fruits and vegetables.  I am working my way towards a more substantial raw vegetable intake.  

In addition, I wanted to try my hand at making a paleo-esque trail mix for Husband.  I purchased some ready-made containers with Almonds, Walnuts, Cranberries, and dark chocolate bits.  I added raisins, more almonds, more dried cranberries, and dark chocolate covered espresso beans.  Not a snack for the every day, or for the faint of heart.  I believe that I over purchased a bit and that I will more than likely not need to spend more money for Husband's trail mix for the remainder of this year.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment